How to Unlock the FM Radio Hidden on Your Smartphone
Have you ever wondered why your smartphone does not have a dedicated FM radio app while your old feature phone had one? The truth is, most smartphone manufacturers do include an FM radio chip in their devices, but they keep the feature hidden from the user. Fortunately, it is possible to unlock the FM radio feature on your smartphone without downloading any external app.
Why would you want to use the FM radio on your smartphone? For one, it can save you data and battery life since you do not need an active internet connection to listen to your favorite radio station. Additionally, it can be a lifesaver in emergency situations, such as during natural disasters when the internet or cellular networks may be down.
Here are the steps to unlock the FM radio on your smartphone:
- Check if your smartphone has an FM radio chip. You can do this by downloading a free app called “NextRadio” from the Google Play Store or App Store. This app will scan your device for an active FM radio chip. If your device has one, you can proceed to the next step.
- Install an FM radio app. Now that you know your smartphone’s FM radio chip is active, you need to download an FM radio app to tune into your favorite station. Some popular options include “TuneIn Radio,” “Radio FM,” and “Simple Radio.” These apps are available for both Android and iOS devices.
- Plug in headphones. Most smartphones use the headphone cord as an antenna to improve FM radio reception. Therefore, you need to plug in headphones or earbuds to listen to FM radio on your device.
- Launch the FM radio app. Open the FM radio app and start tuning into your favorite station. You can use the app’s search feature to find local stations in your area.
- Use airplane mode to improve reception. If you’re having reception issues, try switching your smartphone to airplane mode. This will disable cellular and Wi-Fi connections, which can cause interference with the FM radio signal.