Things You Didn’t Know About Rivian
Rivian is a relatively new player in the electric vehicle (EV) market, but the company has been making waves with its innovative technology, sleek designs and impressive specifications. While some people may be familiar with the startup based in Michigan, there are many fascinating things that are not known about the company that is giving Tesla a run for its money.
1. Amazon is an investor: Rivian has received investments from various sources including Ford, Cox Automotive and T. Rowe Price. The most surprising investor, however, is Amazon, who has put over $700 million into Rivian. This investment has resulted in a partnership that will see Rivian producing 100,000 electric vans for Amazon delivery services.
2. A military grade chassis: Rivian’s vehicles are built on what the company has referred to as the “skateboard platform” – a modular platform that can be adapted to different types of vehicles. The platform is said to be inspired by the chassis system used in military vehicles.
3. Aiming for off-road supremacy: Rivian has revealed that their electric vehicles are designed to tackle difficult terrain without any problems. The company claims its vehicles have an approach angle of 34 degrees, a departure angle of 30 degrees and a ground clearance of 14 inches, all of which are much higher than the competition.
4. Anticipated longest EV range: Rivian claims its electric vehicles have a longer range than any other EV currently on the market. The R1S SUV will have a range of 400 miles, while the R1T pickup truck will have a range of 450 miles. The company has also announced that it plans to introduce a battery technology later this year that will enable even further range.
5. Revolutionary lighting: Rivian has come up with a unique and innovative lighting design for its vehicles. The headlights and taillights are made up of millions of “pixels” that can create a range of different patterns and designs. These pixels are also reversible, allowing drivers to use them as make-shift flashlights in a pinch.
6. Sustainable production: Rivian has pledged to minimize its environmental impact during the production of its electric vehicles. All of their vehicles will be produced in a factory that is powered by renewable energy sources, and the company has also stated that it takes extra steps to use materials that have a lower environmental impact.
7. No dealerships: Rivian has opted for a direct sales model rather than relying on third-party dealerships. This will give customers a more personalized experience as they will be dealing directly with the company rather than multiple intermediaries. It also allows Rivian to maintain better control over their products and brand messaging.
In conclusion, Rivian is a company that is disrupting the EV market with its unique and innovative technology. From its military-grade platform to its customizable lighting, the company looks set to make a significant impact in the industry. With Amazon’s backing and its commitment to sustainability, Rivian may well be on its way to achieving success on a global scale.